My parents were coming over for dinner tonight and asked for Cream of Broccoli soup. This was a new recipe I decided to try. It was good...but not great. I'd eat it again though.
Servings: 10 total (6 dinner sized portions and 4 lunch sized portions).
Time: 60 minutes
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 15 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 4 cups 2% Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt 4 tbsp. butter in a large pot over high heat. Add onions and celery and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add chicken broth and broccoli to the pot. Bring the pot to a boil, lower temperature, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate large pot, melt 6 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add flour and milk. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Use a stick blender to blend the veggies in the first pot until smooth. Be careful not to fling the soup - it's super hot!
- Add the roux mixture (flour/butter/milk) to the blended veggie pot and mix well.
- Garnish with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Original Recipe: Best Cream of Broccoli Soup